MARK J. TERRILL/AP

MARK J. TERRILL/AP

Not so fast guys! Just when you thought that the NBA had rid us of the man known as Donald Sterling, here he comes again.

Los Angeles Clippers owner (currently) Donald Sterling said the NBA’s efforts to terminate his ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers are “illegal” and that it would force his family to pay an enormous capital gains tax that would be “egregious,” according to his response to NBA charges filed Tuesday.

In a 32-page response to the league, he said he will fight the charges and noted that he has received offers of more than $2.5 billion for the team.

His wife, Shelly Sterling, is planning to file a response to the NBA by midnight Tuesday that strongly asserts her position as an innocent bystander in the league’s efforts to strip her family’s ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.

The response, which is being made separate from her husband Donald, was due by midnight (ET) Tuesday after the NBA filed formal charges last week against Donald Sterling, accusing him of damaging the league with racist remarks.

By reasserting her position as the innocent 50-percent owner, Shelly Sterling is building on her case that she should be able to retain at least some ownership stake in the team. Meanwhile, she is trying to sell a controlling interest in the team after her husband authorized her to sell it on his behalf. She visited with former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer on Sunday at her residence in Malibu and received a strong offer for the team and commitment to keep the team in Los Angeles, said the person familiar with the negotiations.

This story looks like it’s not going to quiet down anytime soon.

Source: Bleacher Report